Melissa gives 10 tips for mothers trying to train their children to sleep through the night.
Show Notes (expand)
- Have a schedule and routine
- Keep the room dark and the bedtime routine soothing and low-key, calming, comforting
- Be sure baby is clean and swaddled before nursing back to sleep
- Keep night and day very distinct
- Keep baby well fed during the day
- Once you start a sleep training routine, stick with it at least four days
- If baby wakes up screaming, give them a chance to self-soothe
- Track how long baby has been awake and watch for sleepy cues
- Don't let daytime naps go over 2½ hours, and don't start them after 5:00, 4:30 if child is older than 9 months.
- Introduce a small stuffed animal